Fantasy

Review: The Queen / Invasion of the Tearling

2:11 PM


Titles: The Queen of the Tearling, The Invasion of the Tearling
Author: Erika Johansen
Genres: Fantasy, YA, Dystopia
Destinations: New York, The Tearling, Cadare

Yaaaay a fantasy trilogy! So far two of them have been published and I read both so fast I think my mom thought I was missing at some point. This was definitely a I-really-need-to-put-this-down-and-be-social-but-I-just-can't" kind of book. So if that is what you are looking for definitely check out these out.

With so many fantasy and dystopian novels out there it is so hard for authors to really differentiate themselves. However,  Erika Johansen has done an amazing job. She was able to combine fantasy and dystopian themes in a magical way. The Tearling is part of new land that was founded after the world as we know it fell apart due to an array of issues such as economic failures, bad leadership, and social unrest. The main character is a strong young woman named Kelsea who deals at the start of the series with a plain face, a chubby body, and no belief in her from the people who are meant to protect her. She however, perseveres and becomes a queen to be reckoned with.

My favorite character in the whole book however, is the head of the Queen's Guard, Mace. He reminds me of a far more suave and less disfigured Hound from Game of Thrones. But he is basically just awesome and hides lots of secrets you just really want to know! UGH! I hope book three will reveal all of those!
   

You Might Also Like

0 comments